Monday, July 8, 2013

Fitness Recap


I have decided that on Mondays, I will be doing an exercise recap of the week before. Exercise is such a critical part of this lifestyle, and I need to give it the respect it deserves. I am a walker, and that part of the journey actually began in 2011. At that time, I used to think that perhaps I would be a runner someday. The reality is (at least for now) that I have no desire to run. I have some arthritis and I need to be kind to my joints.

Walking has proven to be a great outlet, and this summer, DH and I have really worked on getting out 4-5 times a week. In the beginning, I walked a 17-18 minute mile. I am now down to a 15-16 minute mile. DH is good a pushing me to go faster. Last night, we did 3 1/2 miles, and it was awesome! Total miles for last week: 11.49.

We are also trying to incorporate some core work into our routine. We began something called the Dirty 30, although right now we are only doing 10 reps of each: walking lunges, knee high step ups, door squats and weighted bends. Last night, we decided that we need to do these separate from the walk because the muscle exhaustion we get from it slows down our walk, as well as shortens it. We have also added crunches. I am hoping to begin building these into more of a regular routine.

My goals for the week are as follows:
1. Walk 5 times this week for a minimum 2 miles
2. Build strengthening exercises into my day first thing in the morning
3. Reach 10,000 steps on my fitbit 4 days this week.

What are your fitness goals this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment